Copyright faplock 2009 - 2013
Off site links:
Caution: www.Mercurius-lodge.org.uk is not responsible for the content of off-site links
Feedback? Then contact the webmaster Web@mercurius-lodge.org.uk
The Lodge was consecrated at 3 PM in the Pillar Room of Cheltenham Town Hall on Monday, 25th March 1957.
The Consecrating Officer was the then Provincial Grand Master RW Bro The Hon WRS Bathurst, TD MA, FSA.
He was assisted by W Bro Capt PMC Hayman, JP PGD, the Deputy Provincial Grand Master and other officers of the Provincial Grand Lodge.
The Lodge was called off for tea and called on at 4.45 PM when the Master was installed and his officers invested.
The Consecrating Officer and his deputy were elected Honorary Members of the Lodge.
The original officers of the Lodge were:
WM W Bro CH Weaver PrSGD
IMP W Bro RR Lewis PAGDC
SW Bro EC Kelly
JW Bro FE Taverner
Chaplain W Bro Ven Arch WT Wardle PGChap
Treas W Bro F Goodridge
Sec W Bro HH Vincent LGR
D of C W Bro FL Miles PGStB
Sen Deac Bro JWH Crabb
Jun Deac Bro WTH Brinkworth
Almoner W Bro CD Dillon PAGDC
Organist W Bro PHA Ingram PPrSGD
Inner grd Bro T Hall
Stewards Bro GE Robinson
Bro T Honeyman
Bro EE Long
Tyler Bro RC Bowman
The arrival in Cheltenham during the early 1950s of that part of the Foreign Office known as GCHQ made an instant impact on the everyday life of the town and soon developed into a major source of employment, which is evident to this day.
Among the early staff arrivals were a number of Freemasons from the London area, Bletchley Park, and elsewhere, who needed to find a new Masonic home and were soon regular visitors to the existing lodges in the area. Eventually there were sufficient Freemasons at GCHQ to form a new Lodge and this became the nucleus that formed The Mercurius Lodge No 7507 meeting at the Cheltenham Masonic Hall - a unique building being one of the very few purpose built Masonic Temples in the World. Although the Mercurius Lodge may have begun its life with members taken almost exclusively from GCHQ, it is not, and never has been, a Lodge that took its members solely from GCHQ or the Civil Service. Indeed, its current membership reflects almost every walk of life.
The Mercurius Lodge No 7507 was consecrated at the Pillar Room of Cheltenham Town Hall on Monday 25th March 1957. The name Mercurius is derived from Mercury, the messenger of the Gods who was also the God of science and travel, all of which activities represent part of the responsibilities of staff at GCHQ.
The Consecrating Officer was the Provincial Grand Master of Gloucestershire, RW Bro the Hon WRS Bathurst TD MA FSA, assisted by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W Bro Capt PMC Hayman JP PDG and Officers of the Provincial Grand Lodge. (The consecrating team consisted of the Provincial Grand Master supported by 15 Provincial Grand Officers).
The guest list included eight Grand Officers and 19 Past Provincial Grand Officers. Brethren attending (including Founder Members) made a total attendance of 365 - of which 170 Brethren attended the Festive Board.
|Officers of the Lodge|
|How to find Mercurius Lodge at Cheltenham Masonic Hall|
|Diary of Events|
|m.fraternal visit to St Kew Lodge|
|50 years as a Freemason|
|Installation of new Master|
|Photographs of our Visit to St Kew Lodge|